Lalbhai Dalpatbhai College of Engineering, Ahmedabad is a premier engineering institute in Gujarat State set with the objectives of imparting higher education, research and training in various fields of engineering & technology. The institute is affiliated to Gujarat Technological University, Ahmedabad and administrated by Department of Technical education, Gujarat State, Gandhinagar.
The institute was established in June 1948 with a generous donation of Rs. 25 lacs and 31.2 Hectres of land by the textile magnate Sheth Shri Kasturbhai Lalbhai. Hence College is named as Lalbhai Dalpatbhai College of Engineering. It is situated adjacent to Gujarat University buiding and is located at the nucleus of various national level institutes such as PRL, ATIRA, IIM etc. The campus is having buildings for various departments, offices, hostels, residences for Principal, rector and wardens. The plinth area of college and hostel buildings admeasures 45,220 sq.m. and 12,556 sq.m. respectively.
L.D.College of Engineering will be known for excellence in engineering education being first choice for all students, society and industry.
The mission of L.D. College of Engineering is to deliver technical programs and services to meet the changing needs of society and industry and thereby contribute to overall techno- economical development of the State in particular and Nation in general and improve quality of life of communities.
L.D. College of Engineering was established on 20th June, 1948 as one of the first few engineering colleges in India. The institution owes its foundation to the bold and inspired vision of Kasturbhai Lalbhai, who named the college after his father, Lalbhai Dalpatbhai.
Initially affiliated to Bombay University, L.D. College of Engineering came under the Gujarat University after its establishment in 1949.
The land for the campus was donated by the Lalbhai family, who played a major role in decisions pertaining to this institute in its initial years. LD started its journey by offering three undergraduate courses in Mechanical, Civil and Electrical Engineering with an intake of 35 students in each field.
Since then it has come a long way. 68 Years later, today it has both undergraduate and post graduate courses in 14 departments. Today, the total strength of the college stands at 5000. LD’s alumnus has spread all over the globe and has created an image of highly professional and skilful engineers. Throughout this wonderful journey, teachers and principals have shaped lives of thousands of engineers.
The legacy inherited is rich and full of colors. LD has and will keep on serving this nation and its countrymen through the light of knowledge.